[kictanet] Challanges facing Mpesa Agents

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Feb 15 16:05:57 EAT 2011

Hi,

I am an operator of a couple of MPesa agents and the kind
of fraudulent activities we have had to deal with over the years explains to you
why even Safaricom has slowed the reversal process.  Peculiar Kenyans will
always find a way to come up with creative ways to circumvent a system.

I keep to my initial stand that MPESA is cash therefore give it the same level
of attention that you would cash, otherwise CBK can propose a T+4 day period for
completion of a money transfer transaction which would kill the cash equivalent
benefits of the service

What is being proposed from the concerns about reversals is that when you loose
cash you would like to call Central Bank with the serial number of the notes and
then have them declare those notes invalid.

So the decision is simple, do you want to be a little more careful when making a
transaction and continue to enjoy the flexibility and freedom of the current
system or remain careless and have the government take the responsibility,
flexibility and freedom from the system?

 Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor
P O Box 55806 Nairobi, 00200