[kictanet] Bringing Sanity Back to our Roads

Andrea Bohnstedt andrea.bohnstedt at ratio-magazine.com
Mon Feb 7 15:24:33 EAT 2011

'Overlapping' happens absolutely everywhere. By matatus, by big buses, by
taxis, by normal drivers, by people in posh four-wheel drives. A four-wheel
drive with a diplomatic number plate squeezed past me yesterday whilst the
driver was on the phone no less.

I had a four-wheel drive and a matatu literally (and I mean literally) in
the back of my knees walking my dog to the vet. On the pavement. A policeman
stood around the corner dreamily staring into a bush.

I think the name-and-shame approach is a start - because everything else
looks so hopeless: Part of Nairobi's nightmare traffic could be resolved if
everyone were either a bit more willing to obey traffic rules and consider
the life and health of their fellow citizens, or if the traffic police
enforced rule-abiding behaviour rather than shake everyone down for a bribe
and then let them do the same thing again.

In addition, I'd love a public education campaign on the basics of driving.
E.e. some explanation of what a slip road is (to slip into traffic, not to
crouch at the beginning, and then fling yourself across several lanes like
the metaphorical lemming with a death wish), that the use of an indicator is
ever so helpful for anyone behind you because it actually indicates where
you're going, ......

I'd like a matatu/bus lane only to be used by matatus/buses - but they
mustn't leave it.

I'd like each matatu to have a number to clearly identify it, and a central
register where you can report them. Yeah, I know, funny.

Does anyone have any better ideas?

On 7 February 2011 14:43, Francis Hook <francis.hook at gmail.com> wrote:

> With all due respect to the developers/promoters of this, I do not get it.
>
> 1 - overlapping - We all know where motorists tend to overlap (Waiyaki Way
> from Lion place all the way to Old Safaricom house, Lower Kabete Road near
> Sarit Centre, the deceleration lane after brookside drive, etc) - that
> remains constant given the fixed nature of roads.   How does this help?
> 2 - Speeding - this is a variable in the sense that it has nothing to do
> with location rather the driver and the time of day and traffic conditions.
>  It may happen along the 200 stretch of road outside the Mall/Bus stage - or
> it may happen between kangemi and ABC Place - again, how is this useful?
> 3 -  How to Report
>
>    1. By sending an email toalert at overlap.co.ke
>    2. By sending a tweet with the hashtag/s*overlapKE*
>    3. By filling this form <http://www.overlap.co.ke/reports/submit/>
>

> I do not think I need to explain - perhaps a passenger can take their eyes
> off the road to key in this info but a driver SHOULD not - and if its not
> real time info, then its no good.
>
> 4 - Defective/unroadworthy car - I'd rather have real time info on serious
> accidents (trailer lying across the road from 0900....or road closed for
> construction/etc etc - that unroadworthy car will move off the road or get
> towed eventually....
>

> As a tax payer, one thing I would not mind seeing is reports of GK vehicles
> being driven after hours or on the weekend (at least for any whistle blowing
> value that may have).   Also car jacking black spots.
>
> I also have concerns on how the reporting is moderated - what is to stop
> someone submitting false information.   I recall pointing out this
> particular aspect to one of the developers/founders of Ushahidi - esp any
> affect that may have had on perpetrating PEV and helping the mobs know where
> to avoid or where to go...
>

> On 7 February 2011 14:17, Norman Boinett <nboinett at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I came across this site  Overlap.co.ke <http://www.overlap.co.ke/> (
>> #overlapKE ) posted by Bankelele I think it is a great idea and it
>> definitely  needs our support. it helps rank serial over-lappers it also
>> points out over-lapping hot-spots.

> Francis Hook
> +254 733 504561

Andrea Bohnstedt <http://ke.linkedin.com/in/andreabohnstedt>
Publisher
+254 720 960 322

www.ratio-magazine.com
Find/post East Africa careers<http://www.ratio-magazine.com/careers/index.php>
Find/post conferences, workshops, trainings, other business
events<http://www.ratio-magazine.com/businessevents/index.php>