[kictanet] Bringing Sanity Back to our Roads

Francis Hook francis.hook at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 14:43:52 EAT 2011

With all due respect to the developers/promoters of this, I do not get it.

1 - overlapping - We all know where motorists tend to overlap (Waiyaki Way
from Lion place all the way to Old Safaricom house, Lower Kabete Road near
Sarit Centre, the deceleration lane after brookside drive, etc) - that
remains constant given the fixed nature of roads.   How does this help?
2 - Speeding - this is a variable in the sense that it has nothing to do
with location rather the driver and the time of day and traffic conditions.
 It may happen along the 200 stretch of road outside the Mall/Bus stage - or
it may happen between kangemi and ABC Place - again, how is this useful?
3 - How to Report

   1. By sending an email toalert at overlap.co.ke
   2. By sending a tweet with the hashtag/s*overlapKE*
   3. By filling this form <http://www.overlap.co.ke/reports/submit/>

I do not think I need to explain - perhaps a passenger can take their eyes
off the road to key in this info but a driver SHOULD not - and if its not
real time info, then its no good.

4 - Defective/unroadworthy car - I'd rather have real time info on serious
accidents (trailer lying across the road from 0900....or road closed for
construction/etc etc - that unroadworthy car will move off the road or get
towed eventually....

As a tax payer, one thing I would not mind seeing is reports of GK vehicles
being driven after hours or on the weekend (at least for any whistle blowing
value that may have).   Also car jacking black spots.

I also have concerns on how the reporting is moderated - what is to stop
someone submitting false information.   I recall pointing out this
particular aspect to one of the developers/founders of Ushahidi - esp any
affect that may have had on perpetrating PEV and helping the mobs know where
to avoid or where to go...

On 7 February 2011 14:17, Norman Boinett <nboinett at gmail.com> wrote:

> I came across this site  Overlap.co.ke <http://www.overlap.co.ke/> (
> #overlapKE ) posted by Bankelele I think it is a great idea and it
> definitely  needs our support. it helps rank serial over-lappers it also
> points out over-lapping hot-spots.

Francis Hook
+254 733 504561