[kictanet] In egypt-internet governance

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 3 08:58:53 EAT 2011

when we were in Egypt for IGF2009, we learnt (off the streets) that the government owned telkos (mobile and fixed) run ALL their several internet gateways.  Abit like what we used to have here with JamboNet in the late 1990s/early 2000s.   Their market is liberal at the retail level but not at the wholesale (national gateway) level. In such a scenario it is very easy to swith off the internet...

the good? news is that switching off the 'net did not reduce the agitation for change and indeed the Egyptian govt apparently switched the (egyptian) Net back on yesterday afty.

walu.