[kictanet] In egypt-internet governance

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 21:36:39 EAT 2011

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 7:02 PM, warigia bowman <warigia at gmail.com> wrote:
> In el rehab, cairo at american university
>
> gov shut down all texting and Internet as well as al jazeera arabic from
> Thursday until this afternoon. Food for thought
>
> what is the technical situation? How did government of egypt do this?

I suspect it was all arranged well in advance. I don't think we will
ever know, but all routes to egyptian ISPs were withdrawn in the space
of 25 minutes.  renesys,com has some good reports on this.

 Is
> gateway controlled by gov, or did gov pull licenses?

One can still operate a router without a license, and there are
multiple "gateways" (routers actually) owned by private operators.
The fact that they were all shut down in such a short time span
indicates to me that there is some measure of "control" by the gov't,
but they don't run the border routers.

--
Cheers,

McTim