[kictanet] Vision 2030: ICT and Other Sectors Converged (Day 1)

bitange at jambo.co.ke bitange at jambo.co.ke
Wed Dec 21 17:11:24 EAT 2011

Harry,
Let us not lament about the past.  Let not surrender.  By inviting Mugo, I sincerely thought we could enrich his experience by offering IT solutions.  We could talk about Open concepts in dealing with the corruption cancer that afflicts us.  We are so near and yet so far.

This year I attended six conferences fully paid by the hosts just to talk about our Open Data and Open Broadband platforms initiatives.  We are sharing now only to lament ten years down the road that we came up with these ideas that were implemented by other nations to solve their corrupt practices.

We are not genetically corrupt.  All this Euro crisis and failures such as Lehman Brothers are due to corruption.  The difference is that the checks and balances systems in those countries work and the Judiciary does its work.  In the US for example Herman Cain has had to abandon his Presidential ambition because of his moral character.

Last evening I met a former classmate and Republican campaigner here in Minnesota and he categorically stated that even though Newt Gingrich leads in the polls, the Republicans will not nominate him because of his moral character.  The point here is even if the general population may like someone because of his/her appeal, there are party think thanks to provide better analysis of the candidates.  Are we able to do this in Kenya?  If we can't then let us stop complaining  about our leadership.

We have an opportunity to manage our resources through automation.  CDF is part of open data. Are we saying we do not have the capacity is this list to analyze data?  The entire future is going to be based on scientific methods using big data.  This is because 90% of future actions including corruption can be predicted using the available data and modern analytics.

Can we build upon what we have already to enable realization of the Vision 2030 on our own terms?  Winston Churchill once said "if you find yourself in a mess, keep going".  There is enough for us to keep going.  In every sentence I have seen from all those who contributed to the Vision debate, I saw some application of IT but it was not said.

Perhaps we need to restructure ourselves along the lines: complainers, analyzers and solution proposers.  In a year's time you will truely realize that IT is indeed a cross cutting field.

Ndemo.

Sent from my BlackBerry®