[kictanet] Safaricom Product

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Dec 13 08:50:27 EAT 2011

Hi,

Many of you might be wondering what is this device that I need so much to buy data bundles for remotely, I have decided to show it to you.

This is a 3G wireless serial to Ethernet converter that we use for monitoring equipment that do not have those nice web browser interfaces such as weather monitoring and vehicle tracking systems.  Many of such equipment are situated in remote locations and previously we need to send someone with a laptop to download the data.

Safaricom's 3G/GPRS service has sorted out a lot of our issues I am sure they have no idea that there services are used for such a solution.  I hope this will make them understand reasons for some of our outbursts when they terminate a service without fully appreciating the effects of such decisions.

So long as Safaricom continues to provide such leading edge products I will have less and less need to spend my weekends climbing masts across the country and instead spend that time developing new solutions to run on their network.

  I noted last week that my issue is being addressed when I bought a new Safaricom dongle and after installation a web page was automatically launched with a new portal, similar to that of Orange/Telkom, http://www.safaricom.com/bundles/ from which one will be able to monitor the bundle details such as as balance as well as to load credit and purchase bundles.  The system had a few flaws which I brought to their attention and I note that the issue is being rectified.

Once that portal is fully operational I am sure there will be fewer chances of someone arbitrarily turning off the service.