[kictanet] Vision 2030: ICT and Other Sectors Converged (Day 3)

Lucy Kimani lkimani at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 15 03:59:14 EAT 2011

Bw. Mugo,

Thanks for taking the time to address the issues raised so far.  I would like add my pesa nane on the Vision 2030 Social Pillar which closely ties in with the Millenium Development Goals.  From the MTP Report attached for listers, I was shocked to read that the Goal 5 "Improve Maternal Health" is one that is unachievable and actually increased from 414 in 2003 to 488 in 2009?  Yet this is one that should be easier to address through education via social media through vehicles such as the digital villages to disseminate information on the importance of maternal health.  Programs enlisting churches as partners in spreading the word and most importantly a concerted effort by the GOK in funding clinics that focus on providing healthy supplemental foods and nutrition counseling for pregnant women, new mothers, infants and children especially in rural areas.  Numerous studies have shown that pregnant women who participate in similar programs
 have longer pregnancies leading to fewer premature births; have fewer low birth weight babies; experience fewer fetal and infant deaths since they seek prenatal care earlier in pregnancy and consume more of such key nutrients as iron, protein, calcium and Vitamin C.

I found the report to be defeatist in the assessment of this particular goal and would hope for a re-evaluation and better planning in attaining the goal in a Vision 2030 kind of way:-)

Lucy