[kictanet] CCK's Directive on counterfeit phones

Kamotho Njenga kamothonjenga at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 14:46:14 EAT 2011

Solomon,

Your concern is quite legitimate and certainly this is one issue that may
indeed be perplexing many people even beyond this list. Its appropriate to
state from the onset that there is need for the intended action of
deactivating the counterfeit phones. Its a critical step towards addressing
the broader question of information and human security.

In general terms a phone will be deemed fake if it doesnt possess a valid
International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) code which is a 15 digit
number unique to a handset. Ordinarily the IMEI code can be displayed by
typing *#06# on the phone. The IMEI code surfaces on the operators network
when a call is initiated making it possible to trace the handset, the caller
or the call details. Without a valid IMEI criminals may take advantage to
engage in secret or fraudulent communication. In simple terms they can
request for your neck, kidnap, extort ransoms etc without fear of being
tracked.

*The Problem*
This noble activity is being driven by an amateurish team. CCK has
degenerated the whole affair to that of threats and intimidation to Mobile
operators and consumers at large. They have undertaken to issue ultimatums
without engaging the affected parties and the wider Kenyan society on the
benefits of the intended action. With the new constitutional mood, even a
boy can conveniently secure a court injunction to stop this process simply
because a well intentioned idea is being implemented like a cattle dip
project in the 80's

Secondly there is absolutely no attempt to enlighten the mobile community.
Less than one percent of Kenyans can distinguish between a fake and a
genuine phone. This implies high chances that a consumers phone can be
disabled today and a user interprets it as a technical handset issue. Worse
still by evening he/she may have procured another one of the counterfeit
type.

Further these sort of directives tend to create technology distrust. A large
number of Kenyans may not distinguish the handset as a device from other
services such as Mobile Money capabilities. Such fears when embedded in the
minds can have a slowing effect on technology adoption and use thus watering
down the momentum of uptake.

Unless something magical is done this directive might end in vain.

Kamotho Njenga