[kictanet] CCK's Directive on counterfeit phones

Chris Foster cgfoster at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 16:33:37 EAT 2011

Kamotho, agree with your comments

Effectively you will disabling a huge number of Chinese phones, which
are mainly used by millions of more marginal mobile phone users, bought
seemingly legitimately through sellers and traders. As COFEK put it this
rule would be "akin to scoring through an offside kick while next to a
referee" http://bit.ly/nIWB04

Whilst I think we can agree that there are some genuine reasons to
reduce fake IMEIs on phones, one cannot underestimate the significant
effects that this regulation will have amongst phone users and their
livelihoods, as phones are suddenly disabled.

In India, a similar directive occured on 1st Dec 2010 resulted in
disasterous blackout for millions of poor mobile phone users. It also
worth noting that in India, this happened even when there was strong
advertising and an "implanting scheme", where innocent users would be
able to fix their phones before the switch off. Can we at least expect
that CCK will operate such a promotion/scheme to make users aware?

[By the way this directive is also very unlikely to stop
"counterfeiting", grey market phone producers can easily duplicate
IMEI's or take them from dead phones, which are much harder to detect
without a cross-operator, cross-national mobile equipment registry
databases.

The real way to stop such "counterfeiting" is to punish importers not
the users, and enforce such standards at points of import and sale, not
through such detrimental technological switch offs]

Regards
Chris

--
Christopher Foster
PhD Researcher, Centre for Development Informatics (CDI)

Mob: +44 (0)7751 537350
Skype: cgfoster