[kictanet] Bitange for President? Xenophobia

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Aug 17 13:34:04 EAT 2011

Hi,

Let us be careful about taking a position of weakness on the issue of the
Somalis and by extension the Muslims.  The rest of us make up 80% of the
population which unfortunately consists of 32 million individuals thereby the
fear we have of a unified group of only 8 Million.

With the advent of open data we should be able to easily put statical evidence
on the table instead of spreading unsubstantiated rumours.

Dr. Ndemo, can we get access to the records at the Ministry of Lands indicating
the stamp duty paid from which, as IT people, we should be able to confirm if it
is the Somalis who are raising the price of housing?

Growing up in Buru Buru in the late seventies and early eighties I experienced
the initial influx of the immigrant Somali, I went to school in Eastleigh which
is why I appreciate the difference between the Kenyan and Somali Somali.

When the refugees arrived they shot the price for rental of a 3 bedroom house
from 5,000/- to 15,000/- per month.  Note that they live as large families which
is why they could afford to offer higher rents than the single family locals.
 In addition they were desperate for accommodation which is why they where
willing to pay a premium.

The rising cost of housing in Nairobi is more as a result of the
sheep mentality that many of us suffer from which results in rising prices due
to a perceived shortage.  Nairobi has a built up area of less than 20% so what
is the rush to buy overpriced houses?  The exponential increase in the prices of
houses is therefore clearly as a result of our pedestrian approach to issues
even though we are better educated than our parents and grand parents for some
untold reason we are less intelligent.

Even the Kileleshwa that we keep being told is running out still has more than
60% of its land surface either underutilised or vacant, you can use google earth
to confirm or refute my statement.

Once we have exhausted all the available land and redeveloped Eastlands we can
then relocate Statehouse and DOD so that we can redevelop the land.  But with
the counties taking shape that situation is unlikely to happen.

The church I worship at in South C is sandwiched between 4 or maybe 5 Mosques
but this does not cause me sleepless nights because to me it is a wakeup call
that my faith needs to become a lifestyle and not a once a week activity.

So Doctor Ndemo, should the Muslims and immigrant/refugee Somalis be concerned
about their continued stay in Kenya when you take over as president?

RegardsRobert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor
P O Box 55806 Nairobi, 00200