[kictanet] Bitange for President? Xenophobia

S.Murigi Muraya murigi.muraya at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 17:47:13 EAT 2011

Is taking of hostages / demanding ransoms legal in Kenya or by International
Laws we are bound to? Are these ransoms not "proceeds of crime"?

If pirates have confessed to investing in Nairobi / Kenyan real estate, what
is the debate about State identification and confiscation of the "Proceeds
of Crime"? Is it not Kenyan Law?

http://connecttheworld.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/10/somali-reveals-secret-life-as-a-pirate/

The "Proceeds of Crime and Anti Money Laundering 2009" Act will touch Kenyan
politicians who steal or fund violence to gain power in their constituencies
/ counties -- not just at the national level. Why would politicians being
INDIRECTLY funded by proceeds of crime support this law? It would disqualify
them from public office.

Actually, the 2010 Kenya Constitution already does that. So the need to
oppose ICT's that make it harder to hide corruption.