[kictanet] UCC attempts to block social networks

Dennis Kioko dmbuvi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 11:00:52 EAT 2011

BTW, Dr. Ndemo's official car is a mild consuming VW Passat and not a
Mercedes.

I would like to raise some issues which might deviate from the main list
content.

My Economics for Engineers class taught me this as a basic. International
trade is a result of the factors of production: Countries export what they
can produce efficiently and import what they cant produce efficiently but is
produced efficiently by other countries. Kenya produces maize with lesser
resources than Japan would (theoretically) while Japan produces cars at
lesser resources than Kenya would.

*Electricity: *Why do we use diesel to produce electricity, talk about
Nuclear while Geothermal potential in the country is yet to be fully
exploited?
*Petroleum: *Why don't we let oil marketers import their own oil, rather
than but from a bid winner? Why must oil be processed at a very inefficent
refinery with high costs while we can import refined oil at cheaper costs?
*Sugar: *Why does our sugar cost twice as much as the sugar from our COMESA
neighbours? Shall we be able to protect our sugar industry for long from
cheaper imports?
*Coffee: *Why is our coffee processed outside the country? Is it true that a
farmer willing to process his own coffee must first auction it at the
Nairobi auction where he must be the highest bidder? Do the jobless in
Kiambu County know that hand roasted coffee is sold at a premium?
*Coconut Milk*: Why is this imported from Indonesia while the cost watches?
*Manual vs Mechanised labour: *Does this need debate? refer to
http://the-star.co.ke/business/andrea-bohnstedt/22002-labour-activists-keeping-kenya-port-inefficient

End of Rant: