[kictanet] FW: Article airing concerns over content aired by FMRadio stations

Wambua, Christopher Wambua at cck.go.ke
Mon Apr 4 18:29:17 EAT 2011

Edith,

The Kenya Information and Communications Act, CAP 411A, expanded the
mandate of the Commission to cover, among other things, regulation of
broadcast content. To facilitate the operationalization of the said law,
the Minister for Information and Communications gazetted subsidiary
legislations (i.e. broadcasting regulations) sometimes last year. He
also subsequently set up the Broadcasting Content Advisory Committee to
assist the Commission bring order in the broadcast programming and in
resolving consumer complaints.

Before CCK could start regulating broadcast content, a suit was filed in
the courts barring the Commission from discharging this added
responsibility. The matter is still pending in the courts, which means
CCK hands are tied in respect to regulating broadcasting content. CCK
has already developed the requisite regulatory instruments (i.e.
licensing procedures, draft broadcasting licence and draft programme
code) as its await the conclusion of the suit.  These instruments shall
be subjected to a process of public consultation once the matter before
the courts is adjudicated.

Best regards,

Christopher Wambua

Assistant PR Manager
Communications Commission of Kenya
Waiyaki Way Opp. Kianda School
P.O Box 14448
Nairobi, 00800
Tel. +254-20-4242-209
Fax: +254-20-4451866

Email: Wambua at cck.go.ke
Website: http://www.cck.go.ke

Disclaimer:

intended solely for the use by the individual(s) or entity to whom it is
addressed to. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified
that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance
on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.
Additionally, if you have received this email in error please notify the
sender immediately by a reply e-mail.