[kictanet] Number Portability - Baptism of fire

Andrea Bohnstedt andrea.bohnstedt at ratio-magazine.com
Mon Apr 4 12:28:52 EAT 2011

The MPESA/Zap questions have been answered - your mobile money account can't
be transferred. Subscribers need to withdraw remaining cash and use up
airtime or settle their bills if post-paid subscribers before porting.

And yes, the fact that a new SIM card is actually cheaper than porting is
probably a disincentive as well - although at least Airtel have offered to
cover the porting fee.

On 4 April 2011 08:56, Barrack Otieno <otieno.barrack at gmail.com> wrote:

> Number portability doesnt seem to make sense under the existing
> circumstances, simple questions have not been answered to mwananchi such as
> when you port, what will happen to your mpesa, zap or whatever, we must
> appreciate the fact that we have moved beyond voice, besides, if the cost of
> porting is higher than buying a new sim card why trouble myself?, this
> issues have to be clarified in the public domain we must stop being too
> sophisticated with technology.
>
> My thoughts.
>
> On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 8:36 AM, <eonchari at lynxbits.com> wrote:
>
>> ..or it could be that Kenyans are just smart

Andrea Bohnstedt <http://ke.linkedin.com/in/andreabohnstedt>
Publisher
+254 720 960 322

www.ratio-magazine.com
Find/post East Africa careers<http://www.ratio-magazine.com/careers/index.php>
Find/post conferences, workshops, trainings, other business
events<http://www.ratio-magazine.com/businessevents/index.php>