[kictanet] Introducong Consumers Federation of Kenya (Cofek) on Kictanet:

Stephen Mutoro stephen at cofek.co.ke
Mon Apr 4 09:12:50 EAT 2011

Dear Alice & Others:

Greetings from Cofek and I. We are very grateful to have been invited on
this forum. Clearly, we have a lot to learn from you as we offer our counter
views and lessons. Please allow us to make our maiden submission here.
Indeed, we must hasten to mention that at Cofek we are keen to discuss
issues and not personalities. We hope this forum will live to this
expectation. As a credible and umbrella federation of consumer
organizations, we are equally realistic - we are well aware that sustainable
consumer benefits are best reaped when the market is fair, just, competitive
and predictably stable. Bottom line, we hope we can agree to disagree on
certain matters without being personal!

>From the foregoing, we are friends of all service providers. This is because
without any of them, the consumer is in serious trouble. On
telecommunications sector for instance, the Cofek Sector Unit responsible is
a "friend" of all MSPs (Yu, Orange, Airtel and Safaricom and any other). We
had the first meeting with MSPs on 25th January and hope to host another one
before end of April. We will, therefore, be disappointed if the arguments
posted on this forum appear to suggest that perhaps one or other MSP is
better than the other without credible supporting evidence. Remember, they
are all in business to make money. They wil apply different formula and
strategy to this end. Cofek has no problem with their reasonable profits.
Without regret, however, we are ever ready and willing to take drastic
action, including seeking legal redress, should any of them go against
Article 46 of the Constitution as well as Kenya Information and
Communications Act (2009).

It is for this reason that Cofek's first point of entry into the sector is
with the quality and performance of regulatory regimes, in this case the
CCK. We are interested to be assured that the CCK board of directors and
management does not only comply with the law but is one that can be relied
upon to deliver against world benchmarks. On occasions, we will be keen to
discuss various issues - such as the tariff structure and promotions,
innovations, consumer IEC, possibility of a 5th operator and why not?, MNP
among others. In so doing, we work closely with media houses for instance
Cofek will be on KTN Business Live discussing MNP at 2.00 pm today. In a
nutshell, we are pleased to be on this forum and wish each of you a great
week ahead!

Kind regards,

Stephen Mutoro

Secretary General, COFEK