[kictanet] digital content creation just a thought...

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Sep 27 18:52:20 EAT 2010

Hi,

It is unfortunate that Kokubo still believes that content is a loaf of bread
that can be baked and sold in the shop, content is a lifestyle.

Kenya has enough content unfortunately it is not local to Kenya but is hosted on
foreign servers hence the expense of access.  Until this content is brought home
we shall remain a net importer of local content.

It is time the ICTBoard put its money where its mouth is, we need cost effective
local hosting and collocation services providing unlimited local bandwidth.  The
issue of pegging my total throughput on the cost and size of the international
pipe is counter-productive.

The funds that are being offered for people to develop content and applications
through the recently concluded ICTBoard project will come to nought as most of
the money will be spent paying for bandwidth and hosting services. Many of the
successful applicants will opt to host their applications overseas which will
mean those local consumers will have to pay a premium to access the content.

This issue can also be seen on the bill boards of the mobile companies that show
no single local site.

Regards
 Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd