[kictanet] The Safaricom money machine

Muchiri Nyaggah muchiri at semacraft.com
Wed Sep 15 13:39:54 EAT 2010

>From a telco perspective, any traffic on the network has a cost to it. An
undelivered text message costs the telco some resources. These businesses
are not social enterprises, they exist to provide profitable returns to
shareholders (in addition to the other social conscious promises they make).
If the cost will be covered by someone, I don't think you can convince them
they should bear it.

If all Safaricom is doing, as Barack said, is exploiting the ignorance of
subscribers, wouldn't that be easily remedied by a continuous 'civic
education' campaign? Would we then, knowing what charges would be levied and
why, still require the telco to cover the cost of user errors on their
network? If the citizens find an operator to be exploitative, they would
simply jump ship to a competitor as long as CCK creates an environment for
subscribers to easily change operators without being punished for it.

Some of the charges are irritating but asking telcos to cover the costs of
my butter fingers maybe a bit unrealistic.

Kind regards,

*Muchiri* Nyaggah

Director

@muchiri