[kictanet] "US and Russia face off over ICANN veto power

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 13 14:17:57 EAT 2010

Badru,

I understand where ITU is coming from; they have been
relevant since the traditional telephone was created in the late
1880s.  But now that you can make telephone calls (and other things)
via the internet, ITU has been left holding a "shell" so to speak.  To
remain relevant they must find space in the Internet Governance System...

And that is where the "culture-clash" is happening. The current Internet Governance System (ICANN,
IGF, IETF, RIRs etc) is build on a "bottom-up" approach that is so
alien to the ITU (top-bottom) approach.  Internet has grown because of
"rough"-consensus from the various loosely interconnected stakeholders
playing at the "edge"/"grassroot".  ITU would love to change that to a
centralist, top-bottom approach...with itself ofcourse at the top -
calling the shots - unilaterally as it has always done over the last
100yrs.

Unfortunately, as you rightly put
it, ITU has managed to rally serious governments on its side to drive
this agenda - under the pretext that the internet would be safer if it
were under one central(read "governments" through ITU ) control.
Whereas this maybe debatable, my take is that it may not be the true
reason for ITU's push to get into the internet space...

I can
say alot on this but I dont want to hog the space for the current MJs
thread...so am out for now but must say add that this a hot
international debate that each government must carefully examine by
asking which is more beneficial  - Internet under a "multi-stakeholder"
environment or Internet under a centralized, unilateral environment?

walu.