[kictanet] "US and Russia face off over ICANN veto power

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 22:03:40 EAT 2010

Hiya Badru,

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 8:02 PM, Badru Ntege <ntegeb at one2net.co.ug> wrote:

> Interesting  The struggle for the control of the internet continues.  I'm
> worried that this time they ITU( governments) have strategically regrouped
> and might actually make some progress.

"Consideration should be given to the expediency of having the functions of
GAC carried out by a specially-constituted group within ITU with the
authority to veto decisions adopted by the ICANN Board of Directors. If it
is so decided, the ITU Secretary-General should be instructed to consult
ICANN on the matter."

 Considering that they told the ICANN CEO that he wasn't welcome at their
Plenipot meeting, I think any such "consultation" would be brief  and
negative (as in "not hanks" from ICANN.

The problem is do they understand the beast they are trying to reign in??

They understand they don't control it, and they want to.

> I'm not a proponent of "if it aint broken don't fix it"  but I still do not
> see what positive value the world will get by replacing the GAC with a
> private (closed) club of bureaucratic technocrats.

zero + value, unless you are in the ITU world of very nice per diems.

--
Cheers,

McTim