[kictanet] Safaricom Wimax service

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Oct 8 08:46:10 EAT 2010

Hi,

I was most exited about getting the Safaricom Wimax service, they had teething
problems with the role out which I suspect was because they did not anticipate
the level of demand.

The service finally worked, which took about a week from the time I applied for
the service, but only for about 3 days then the problems started.

What is most annoying is that the customer service number is not toll free and
cannot be reached through the normal 100 or 200 numbers which to me suggests
that Safaricom has not fully integrated the new baby into the rest of the
organisation.  The customer service number is also only manned during normal
working hours which is unacceptable when you are dealing with residential users
who need the service outside this hours.

The fixed wireless business is also very different from mobile wireless which is
Safaricoms forte, with  fixed wireless the client cannot take the equipment  to
a customer service centre which would therefore mean the need for more
personnel, vehicles and higher chances of providing mediocre services.  This
will be a good experience for Safaricom in dealing with a different type of
client especially now that they are offering B2B solutions such as application
hosting and collocation services.  I am sure that after this experience they
will never talk ill of Telkom and their landline service.

When the initial team came to do the installation it was clear that they where
not Safaricom employees but an outsourced provider who where not up to scratch
on dealing with residential users.  They had dropped the antennae cable down the
side of the house from the roof and then through the window.

I had them remove the shoddy installation and make sure they passed the cable
through the provided conduits which meant that a single team outing turned into
a 3 day affair, at the fixed cost I am sure they are being paid per installation
I am not surprised that they have not been able to come and fix my link which
has been down since Monday this week.

Regards

Sent from my laptop in the office since my Safaricom Nyumbani service is
inoperative
 Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor