[kictanet] ICTs for civic and political engagement

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 21:33:14 EAT 2010

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 9:04 PM, Josiah Mugambi <jmugambi at gmail.com> wrote:

Opera's monthly 'State of the Mobile Web' might be indicative of the level
> of mobile internet usage in Kenya -> http://www.opera.com/smw/2010/08/ (August
> Report). Moses Kemibaro did a blog post<http://www.moseskemibaro.com/2010/10/01/state-of-the-kenyan-mobile-web-august-2010/>on this a little while ago.
>
> Hope that's a start :)

Am I the only one appalled at the data gathered by the browser maker?

On my PC, Neither FFox or Chrome "phone home" the amount of data used, what
pages I visit, etc.

I wonder how many Opera Mini users actually read this:

http://www.opera.com/privacy/
"Privacy in the Opera Mini browser

Opera Mini will keep a record of the user’s phone make and model for use
with maintaining the history, cache, and cookies. The user’s phone number is
not stored except where required by the operator. Make and model data may be
used for the purposes of debugging, maintenance, optimization of the
service, or maintaining the customer relationship. The history, cache, and
cookie information can be removed using *Tools > Settings > Privacy* from
the menu in Opera Mini. Additionally, as authorized, we may also use
personal data to send users information regarding update downloading,
upgrades, enhancements, surveys, or advertisements about our products."

--
Cheers,

McTim