[kictanet] Safaricom Wimax service

Harry Karanja kairo at softlaw.co.ke
Fri Oct 8 09:49:48 EAT 2010

Yawe,

I agree with you that Safaricom has not fully thought out the operational management of this product. I applied and promptly paid for the service as a redundant link at my office building on Friday last week and was promised that it would be installed by Monday this week. The engineers finally came on Tuesday but they had no official documentation or identification and were denied access to the building conduits and rooftop by the management until they had the right documentation. When they finally returned on Thursday with a letter; they were again sent away as the management of the building required them to have a “license” and pay to an annual rent to setup their equipment on the rooftop at a cost of KES. 120,000 – KES 180,000.

I understand that this product is mainly targeted at residential users but since I was visited by Safaricom staff before making payment I expect that they had worked out the installation and configuration part.

Regards,

Harry Karanja n Director n SoftLaw Limited n Genius Executive Centre n 15th Floor View Park Towers  n Utalii Lane n Nairobi CBD n Tel: +254 20 342 225