[kictanet] KIXP connectivity

Philip Adar philip.adar at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 18:36:57 EAT 2010

Concerned,
At one time CCK was considering establishing GIXP (an idea which could have
resulted into a second IXP in kenya), and so far; the project is still
bed-ridden at the tendering stage.

At this point, the industry requires positive direction and support from
government policy makers. It is clear, something need to be done urgently.

Philip

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 9:54 AM, Davidson Thaba <dthaba at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think it will be more helpful if someone gave the exact details of the
> problems he/she is having regarding the KIXP. Eg. I am connected to provider
> X, and when I try to access content hosted by provider Y locally, it goes
> via the international route, and here are the traceroute/ping statistics.
> That way, it will be quite easy to pinpoint the problem and advise the
> affected member.
>
> Thaba
>

> On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 11:10 PM, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 9:01 PM, lordmwesh <lordmwesh at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Robert, hold your praises on TESPOK.
>> >
>> > Even after praising Fiona, and all the Tespok crew, i dont think they
>> > are very genuine, or keen to embrace single players into the IXP. We
>> > have had so many forums, especially  IGFs, and other Kictanet
>> > moderated forums, and at no single point have we seen the 'grave
>> > isssues' raised by FIONA appear in the public domain.
>>
>> At every forum I have attended, the KIXP folk have made it a point to
>> bring up the licensing issue.
>>

>> > Is somebody playing PR?
>> >
>> > What would be the modalities of establishing a parallel IXP for
>> > private content providers, who can then peer with KIXP
>>
>> You can't peer with KIXP, you peer with others at KIXP.
>>
>> IIUC, if you get a Content Providers license, then you can join the
>> peering mesh.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers,
>>
>> McTim
>> "A name indicates what we seek. An address indicates where it is. A
>> route indicates how we get there."  Jon Postel

Philip Adar