[kictanet] Kenya IGF 2010, Discussions :Day 8 of 8 Summary

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 08:06:32 EAT 2010

Dear Listers,

Today we conclude 8 days of interesting discourse on Internet Governance
issues in Kenya. As mentioned by some contributors in earlier posts, being a
new area, there is a great need for capacity building and awareness to
ensure that the country is able to reap the benefits of the new
info-economy. We would like to invite listers who might not have had the
chance to make their posts to do so under the respective subject lines in
the next two days before compilation of the final report that will be
presented during the face to face discussions scheduled for the end of this
month.
In a nutshell we explored the following areas:

   1. Internet Governance rationale - What is internet governance and why
   internet governance at this point in time.
   2. Infrastructure issues: Unified Licensing., Fibre Optic cable
   3. Critical Internet Resources
   4. Management of the dot KE cctld
   5. IPv6
   6. ecrimes, privacy, data security.

Despite the limited time frame the discussion was exciting, i am sure the
many that followed the debate silently would not their heads in agreement.
Today and tomorrow will be dedicated to exploring other areas that might of
interest in so far Internet Governance in Kenya is concerned one of them
being cloud computing was which pointed out by Dr. Waudo Siganga.

Thank you
--
Barrack O. Otieno
+41767892272