[kictanet] Kenya IGF 2010, Discussions :Day 8 of 8 Summary

Judy Okite judyokite at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 13:57:33 EAT 2010

Dear Barrack,

indeed it has been a 'knowledge construction', period, I take this
opportunity to thank all who have made it a rich discussion.

what I have been able to pick from the exchange:

a) Infrastructure issues: Unified Licensing., Fibre Optic cable- Kenyans are
wary about it- we are moving,but not moving yet!

b) Critical Internet Resources, Management of the dot KE cctld-  there is a
LAW but only on paper.

c) IPv6- there is no driving force.

d) ecrimes, privacy, data security.- in most instances people always assume
that it is the consumers that need the law to protect them, but I will say
certainly NOT all the stakeholders in a given scenario, need protection.

Maybe I will pose my layman question to our learned friends, the lawyers,
'what causes demand for a law to be put in place?'

Kind Regards,

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 8:06 AM, Barrack Otieno <otieno.barrack at gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear Listers,
>
> Today we conclude 8 days of interesting discourse on Internet Governance
> issues in Kenya. As mentioned by some contributors in earlier posts, being a
> new area, there is a great need for capacity building and awareness to
> ensure that the country is able to reap the benefits of the new
> info-economy. We would like to invite listers who might not have had the
> chance to make their posts to do so under the respective subject lines in
> the next two days before compilation of the final report that will be
> presented during the face to face discussions scheduled for the end of this
> month.
> In a nutshell we explored the following areas:
>
>    1. Internet Governance rationale - What is internet governance and why
>    internet governance at this point in time.
>    2. Infrastructure issues: Unified Licensing., Fibre Optic cable
>    3. Critical Internet Resources
>    4. Management of the dot KE cctld
>    5. IPv6
>    6. ecrimes, privacy, data security.
>
> Despite the limited time frame the discussion was exciting, i am sure the
> many that followed the debate silently would not their heads in agreement.
> Today and tomorrow will be dedicated to exploring other areas that might of
> interest in so far Internet Governance in Kenya is concerned one of them
> being cloud computing was which pointed out by Dr. Waudo Siganga.
>
> Thank you
> --
> Barrack O. Otieno
> +41767892272
> Skype: barrack.otieno

“To live is to choose. But to choose well, you must know who you are and
what you stand for, where you want to go and why you want to get there.”
Kofi Annan