[kictanet] Kenya IGF 2010, Discussions :Day 7 of 8 Theme:E-Crime, Online Privacy & Data Security- Continuation

Ayub Gitonga ayub.gitonga at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 17:09:56 EAT 2010

Hi Judy,
When you brought up this issue, It quickly reminds me of a policy document
which I read published by the GOK way back in 2004, i.e.  NATIONAL
INFORMATION & COMMUNICATIONS TECHNOLOGY (ICT) POLICY which recognized these
emerging issues but the gava has lagged behind in put in place  solutions
(Laws) can safeguard us against these threats and this in effect means the
this policy document is no longer a living doc.

The question remains who is responsible... Of course I believe the min of
Information & Communication is the line Min... are they overwhelmed or is it
our legislators who are too busy increasing their salaries instead of
passing Laws...

Thanks
 Ayub

On 13 July 2010 06:47, Judy Okite <judyokite at gmail.com> wrote:

> Good Morning,
>
> As we near, closing these discussions we, feel free to contribute to the
> former threads by clicking on the correct subject/title.
>
> Today we continue with ,
>

>    - a)      E-crime- situation in Kenya
>    - b)      E- Voting- where Kenya is @
>
> And today we add
>
> c)      c)  Online privacy and data security
>
>  i)      Sim card registration-  on the 21st June 2010 the government
> through  CCK(Communication Commission of Kenya) declared it mandatory for
> all mobile users to register their Sim cards
>
> More info: http://www.cck.go.ke/news/2010/news_21june2010.html
>
> “The exercise is aimed at safeguarding the public against acts of
> insecurity, including the wide spread threats posed by terrorism, drug
> trafficking, money laundering, extortion, fraud, hate messages, and
> incitement that are now wide spread throughout the world, “said the Minister
> for Information and Communication.
>
> Currently we have 18million (I stand to be corrected ) mobile users in
> Kenya, In these forms, one has to give their residential area , their
> identity card number, their birth information etc… That is a whole lot of
> data on Kenyans… in short , a grand database! From yesterday’s discussions
> we saw that currently we have no LAW  to guard this database.
>
> Q. What will stop the Authority from using my details wrongly?
>
> Q. What happens if I don’t register by 31st of July? I will be
> disconnected? Under what LAW?
>

> ii) When I send a SMS to 3007 with an ID card number, it returns with voter
> details, full names, place of voting and voter card number of the ID card
> holder, however,
>
> 1, the system put in place, does not verify in any way that it’s the real
> owner of the ID card, that has sent this query?
>
> a)      Can this data be manipulated? Then what?
>
> A question, on top of my head, with all these ongoing, what creates demand
> for LAW?(if there is anything, like that)
>

> Your queries, comments, inputs, corrections are welcome!
>

> Kind Regards,
>

> --
> “To live is to choose. But to choose well, you must know who you are and
> what you stand for, where you want to go and why you want to get there.”
> Kofi Annan

Ayub Gitonga