[kictanet] Kenya IGF 2010, Discussions :Day 7 of 8 Theme:E-Crime, Online Privacy & Data Security- Continuation

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 16:41:00 EAT 2010

Walu,

You bring to light very pertinent issues. I remember reading a case between
two British Airline Companies where one company (took inappropriately (know
what i mean)) the competitors customer data which i presume was stored in a
database somewhere and gave the clients a counter offer. The case was of
course settled by the courts with a Tidy sum of money as a lesson to many
others with similar motives, this lends credence to your call for the data
protection act.

Thank you

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 1:17 PM, <ntegeb at one2net.co.ug> wrote:

> Wallu
>
> Very good points however one puts this down to the chicken or egg syndrome
>
> The pace of technology and the possibilities one can do with data are so
> vast but also change at such a rate that by the time legislation is through
> there exists a totally new exploit.
>
> Our biggest challenge after the technology is Appropriate timely
> legislation
>

> Badru
> Sent from my® smartphone

Barrack O. Otieno