[kictanet] Kenya IGF 2010, Discussions :Day 5 of 8 Theme : Critical Internet Resources- Continuation

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 16:27:04 EAT 2010

Dear Judy,

Thank you for bringing up this debate, let me attempt to answer some of your
questions based on my understanding.

Why has it taken this long for the Minister to act? Is there a
system/process and is it underway?

*I suppose the Minister needs to be advised, the question is who will advise
him. Considering the fact that KENIC is a PPP, it is incumbent upon the
stakeholders to advise the Minister, i wonder whether the issue was tackled
at the AGM, any insights Walu or any other person who attended the agm?*

I would love to hear from the knowledgeable people, what effect has this had
in the market, more especially for the Registrars.

 *Well having attended the many training sessions organised by KENIC in the
capacity of a registrar, i must say they are on the right track, what is
lacking is cooperation from the registar community and i suppose we need to
have this issue on the KEPSA agenda, Kenic has made attempts to educate the
market and reach out to more people but i suppose we need to lend the
organisation a hand, during ICANN i spoke to Registrars from Japan and
Australia and was surprise that .jp commands 50 percent of the market share,
same case for .au, during the conversation i realised that a concerted
effort is required to educate the populace on why they need a CCTLD, i
suppose we have focused for Long on the Policy Aspects and left out the
Business aspects. all is not lost though since if the presentation that was
made during the KENIC agm is anything to go by, there is a positive trend
albeit at a low pace. my challenge at this point to stakeholders is ask not
what our CCTLD can do for us but what we can do to ensure .ke has 50 percent
market share
*

Your thoughts, inputs, corrections, are most welcome…

Kind Regards,
--

Barrack O. Otieno
+41767892272