[kictanet] My 2cts: Kenya IGF 2010 Mailing List Discussions Day 2 of 8Theme : Infrastructure Issues - Impact of the Fibre OpticCable IGF Mailing List Discussions

Victor Gathara v-gathara at dfid.gov.uk
Wed Jul 7 11:15:30 EAT 2010

Barrack

When I did a study on the fibre optic cables a couple of years ago I proposed the following actions by donors to help Kenya reap the benefits of fibre coming to our shores:

-          targeted funding for the ICT industry to help mitigate the effect of the global recession;

-          direct investments in infrastructure to help spread points of presence to rural areas;

-          supporting a Kenyan success story in the Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) sector through marketing support, technical and financial assistance (borrowing loosely from the MPESA model);

-          lobbying the government for regulation aimed at preventing monopolies developing and speeding up the passing of the Freedom of Information (FOI) act

-          encouraging debate on the benefits of the sub-marine fibre in the public domain through collaboration with the media and supporting the Ministry of Information and Communications communication strategy.

-          factor support for the development of a vibrant Kenya ICT industry in the Enterprise Development Programme

-          lobby for ICT issues among donors

-          support for the Kenya ICT Action Network (KICTAnet) - to transform it to a effective national association

The danger at the time was that many viewed the arrival of the cables as the 'silver bullet' that would slay the problems facing the ICT industry in East Africa and in so doing catalyse the ICT (followed by the economic) revolution. It shouldn't surprise us that this hasn't happened as connectivity is only but a part of the issues that need to be resolved. Its also early days yet. I believe change in this arena will happen bit by bit (pun intended) until we have critical mass where more massive changes (the expected revolution) will then take place. The pace of the change will be dependent on how quickly the transformative actions above are taken.

Victor