[kictanet] Kenya IGF 2010 Mailing List Discussions Day 1 of 8 Theme : Review of the 2009 IGF Mailing List Discussions

Solomon Mburu Kamau solo.mburu at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 14:02:26 EAT 2010

Listers,

This is indeed another great opportunity to understand the journey since the
last of such a discussion (2009). considering that there are a number of
things that have taken place in as far as internet governance/security are
concerned.
For instance, there is a call by the government of Kenya to have all the SIM
Cards registered before July 31st 2010, to avert issues such as crime
(kidnapping, electoral violence etc).
There is quiet a lot of diversities which we need to embrace and prepare the
citizens into understanding the multiple effects of internet.
One thing that I struggle to understand is IPV6. There are a number of
essentials that will help the society fully migrate and adapt the IPV6
equipment. One thing that beats logic is how does one really know an
equipment is IPV6 compliant? I posit this question because it emerged that
all the so-called digital television in Kenya were not digital after all!

Mass education on the findings regarding IGF need to be conducted so that it
does not look like only technical people define, actualize and implement
IGF, just like it is said, the common person need to have a technical
understanding of IGF, at least in the basic level.

I look forward to more challenging perspectives and views regarding this
discussion.

On 5 July 2010 08:32, Barrack Otieno <otieno.barrack at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Listers,
>
> Another year has gone by and it is time to review the deliberations that
> were made during last years discussions which was moderated by Walu and
> Mwende Njiraini. While reflecting on this it is important to note that the
> IGF process is not a decision making mechanism but a platform for
> multistakeholder dialogue, the idea is to bring together organisations and
> persons involved in Internet public policy formulation. It is this
> organisations and persons that make the decisions or implement the changes
> that are required in the public space. This notwithsatnding, the Kenya IGF
> has made immense contribution to the East African IGF which is by far one of
> the best regional initiatives globally and provides a benchmark for other
> Regional initiatives that are coming up in Africa and the Global IGF
> process. Last years report is attached to this thread and i would like to
> invite listers to skim through it an identify issues that might need to be
> revisited and or reviewed. In addition you may propose areas that need to be
> taken into consideration as we prepare for the face to face discussions at
> the end of this Month. Please note that discussions around this theme will
> take one day however you may continue with the thread even after we have
> moved to the next theme which will look at Infrastructure issues.

Solomon Mbũrũ Kamau

Man is a gregarious animal and enjoys agreement as cows will graze all the
same way to the side of a hill!

AND

It is better to die in dignity than in the ignomity of ambiguous generosity!

http://smiley2.wordpress.com
http://mburu.sikika.co.ke