[kictanet] ICANN meeting and security concerns

waudo siganga emailsignet at mailcan.com
Wed Jan 20 19:13:20 EAT 2010

My advise to the local Internet community is on the same lines as that
from Grace Bomu and Adam Peake: if we want in the long run to be
creators rather than observers of what is happening with ICANN then
please VOLUNTEER to serve. All the decision-making positions are
volunteer positions and there are negligible Africans there. This goes
beyond the limited annual NOMCOM openings. One can volunteer to be
active in a CONSTITUENCY or a support organization. Recently Alex Gakuru
got a post in the Non-Commercial Users Constituency and that was a good
first step. These constituencies also make their independent
appointments to the BOARD, GNSO, NOMCOM,etc.
While awaiting updates on the fate of the Nairobi meeting we should also
think strategically.

Waudo
What is possible must be done; what is impossible can be done.