[kictanet] ICANN meeting and security concerns

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Wed Jan 20 16:50:39 EAT 2010

At 12:36 PM +0000 1/20/10, Grace Bomu wrote:
>This would be unreasonable. There are many high profile meetings going
>on in Nairobi despite our insecurity problems. In addition, conference
>tourists who come to Nairobi venture out to social spots in search of
>entertainment on their own.
>It is a high time we  got more reps into the decision making organs of
>ICANN. Any Kenyans running?

Grace, Hi.  Good idea, and ICANN's nominating
committee is taking applications for candidates
now <http://nomcom.icann.org/>

I too hope the meeting happens. Looking forward
to seeing many of you in a couple of months, and
hopefully at the KICC or a bar in town, not stuck
on a bus for hours on the way to or from the UN
:-)

How many local people would bother to attend of
the meeting was at the UN? Understand from
Rebecca's comment it's something like a separate
country and a pain to get in. ICANN meetings
should be open. That's one of the requirements of
the request for proposals for holding a meeting.
And I think McTim's right, the host country
paying for a gala dinner is another requirement
(ICANN picks up the rest of the bill for the
meeting, everything from conference rooms to
power.)

A thought, or really a question about last
Friday's disturbances.  Were they a one off, or
might they happen again? Is this a permanent or
semi-permanent change, or will the trouble pass
and be over when the Jamaican guy is deported and
things calm down?  I know this is impossible to
answer 100%, and I'm definitely not looking for
an official position on this, but what do those
of you in Nairobi think?  If I were an ICANN
board member thinking about the meeting, this
might be useful to hear comments on.

Adam