[kictanet] ICANN meeting and security concerns

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 15:48:03 EAT 2010

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 3:36 PM, Grace Bomu <nmutungu at gmail.com> wrote:
> This would be unreasonable.

Which? Moving the venue to UNEP or shifting it completely from Kenya?
If the latter, then I might agree.

 There are many high profile meetings going
> on in Nairobi despite our insecurity problems. In addition, conference
> tourists who come to Nairobi venture out to social spots in search of
> entertainment on their own.
> It is a high time we  got more reps into the decision making organs of
> ICANN. Any Kenyans running?

The policy making bodies of ICANN that we as Internet users/business
people (or even gov't types) do NOT make the decisions on meeting
locations.  The ICANN staff do this.

Over on the AfrICANN list we have heard that ICANN has in the past,
had local sponsors pick tabs for functions, so not sure Kenya is being
targeted unfairly here.

--
Cheers,

McTim