[kictanet] My take: ICT Parks

Njoroge Tito titonjoroge at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 11:58:35 EAT 2010

> 3)  As much as we may argue that the distance matters little in ICT, but
> this will definitely play a fundamental role in development of this
> facility. *All the government ministries are their HQs concentrated in
> Nairobi*.

Dr Ndemo,

Is this really necessary? Is it necessary for parliament to be in Nairobi,
for ALL government ministries to have HQs in Nairobi?

Our government can learn a few things from the banking sector. Banks in the
90's were located in a few major towns. People went to the bank. The
development in the sector after the banks went to the people cannot be
under-estimated. The number of people who have accounts soared, access to
loans to facilitate development became easier, profits for the sector
multiplied. I believe ICT facilitated this shift. I can walk into a bank in
Westlands, and be served yet my account is held in Bondo. I am not saying
that the sector is perfect, but there are lessons we can take.

The same should be happening with government services. The government should
take services to the people. This will spur development in areas far from
Nairobi, all over the country.

Back to the question at hand, i believe an ICT park is one of those things
that dont need to be in Nairobi. We cant have everything in Nairobi. The
more things we locate in Nairobi, the more people come to Nairobi, the more
congested the city becomes. Nairobi is not Kenya.

Regards,

Tito.