[kictanet] Fw: Re: My take: ICT Parks

Vitalis Olunga VOlunga at Safaricom.co.ke
Fri Jan 8 16:46:12 EAT 2010

Dear Colleagues,

This is an interesting “dialogue”. As much as we may have diverse suggestions and opinions on the issue of the location of the planned ICT Parks, there are some fundamental underlying factors that we may need to consider:

1)  geographically proximate group of interconnected companies and associated institutions, in a particular field could play a fundamental role in the location of this facility. To this end, the concept of cluster could play a fundamental role. Although this may not be a basis of  generalization to arrive at the choice of location, but consideration should be given to the geographic concentrations of interconnected companies, specialized suppliers, service providers, firms in related industries, and associated institutions (for example universities, standards agencies, and trade associations) that need to cooperate (and may also compete) in the development of this project noble project.

2)  The significant role of location in global economy cannot be underestimated in this context, for both the capital investment expenditures and operational expenses. Cost saving is an important aspect to the choice of the location to make this facility more attractive. The choice of proximate location where lead organizations and institutions in the ICT sector and where users are based, for example where government ministries and many lead universities in ICT, and many international organizations are having their HQ, is important.

3)  As much as we may argue that the distance matters little in ICT, but this will definitely play a fundamental role in development of this facility. All the government ministries are their HQs concentrated in Nairobi. Similarly the international private partners that may consider participation in this project are also concentrated in Nairobi. To link these organizations, broadband superhighway  will be of paramount importance for achievement of cost effective, efficient and highly reliable connectivity, and this will require the use of high capacity optical fibre cable links for both local connectivity and international access.

4)  Other means of connectivity such as satellite can be considered to distribute the services to rural and remote areas, but not where data throughputs are expected to be high. This is because this is a more costly undertaking and satellite is also a scarce resource (on global basis). We may argue that the national backbone fibre can be used to establish this facility away from where most of the organizations a re located. However, for long-term considerations, this option may face constrains on the availability of capacity, and additional costs for expansion will have to be incurred. Also this will definitely require backup links of similar magnitude, to achieve acceptable reliability levels.

5)  Considering that in ICT sector, both private and public,  are located in Nairobi, makes Nairobi an ideal location. But proximate location to Nairobi such as Athi River is not a bad idea, and is just as good. This could be because  getting a space in Nairobi could be more costly undertaking, since most of the land space may have been utilized by the government for other purposes and for private residential housing, and its is already highly congested. Also some spaces may have been grabbed by individuals and could be very costly to acquire.

6)  It is therefore important to consider proximate location for ease of planning, and cost effective implementation of this project, to achieve both short-terms objectives and long-term goals.

Regards

Vitalis

Vitalis Olunga

Chairman GSM Africa