[kictanet] Universal Access in Kenya (Is it really working?)

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 11:42:09 EAT 2010

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 11:26 AM, Vitalis Olunga <volunga at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dear Listers,
>
> It is high time we review our Policy on UA/S to make align it with our
> national ITC strategies.  The UA fund model, where well managed  has worked
> quite well in the countries that are scring hgher in the implemetaion of UA
> strategies. It should be left to operators to decide on which medel to use.

Hmmm, having lived in UG for 5 years, and watching the regulator there
give the 1% USF back to the operators instead of to useful worthwhile
projects (like the one Edith described in her excellent powerpoint
presentaion), I see the USFs as a way for

A) The regulator to fund itself, by hanging on to the interest accrued
on that money for a time and

B) a way for Operators to do CSR projects which don't cost anything
(they would have had to pay the 1% anyway, but get it back as a
"subsidy")

If KE wants to do a USF fund, an independent regulator should collect
the USF monies, and then a Board/Committee  (which would be
independent of the independent regulator and made up of ICT4D experts
and implementers) should be deciding on which projects to fund.

Eventually this Board/Committee could be made up of folk who have done
like projects in their communities, so they know what works
sustainably, and what doesn't.

--
Cheers,

McTim