[kictanet] copyright infringment / theft vs local content value

Badru Ntege ntegeb at one2net.co.ug
Wed Aug 11 11:32:07 EAT 2010

Andrea
I think it's important to differentiate between content and the delivery
platform: A story on, say, diamond mining is a story on diamond mining. You
can deliver it as a radio piece, a video (via internet or TV) or a written
piece (via print or internet) or as a combination thereof. 'Multimedia'
merely means a combination of the above (i.e. includes the written word),
and that's not really specific to Africa. Look at newspapers or magazines
with a website, print edition, and possibly a TV show.

[] Fully agree however we also need to cater for the literacy levels and
also the diversity in languages.   Multimedia helps us reach more now while
we address the literacy challenge.

Finally: I wouldn't dismiss copy right protection entirely as stifling. Yes,
the internet makes copyright enforcement a lot more difficult, but I think
it's still a legitimate question to ask whether people who have put a lot of
effort into a piece of work should not be able to enjoy the income from it.

[]

I agree with you here too but proposing that technology has made the
traditional methods of making sure copyright owners are rewarded too
difficult and an unenforceable law is not worth having.  Let us look at the
methods that some of this copyrighted material is distributed and maybe
collect from these resources.  One could argue that communication companies
both Broadcast and Telecoms have some licensing and regulatory authority
which collects allot of funds from the operators.   Why do we not make sure
that some of these funds are distributed to these copyright owners.  For
example most Telco's are using ring back tones without paying the owners.
(brain storming and thinking out loud so feel free to shoot me down on this
J)

regards

Regards, Andrea