[kictanet] copyright infringment / theft vs local content value

Andrea Bohnstedt andrea.bohnstedt at ratio-magazine.com
Wed Aug 11 10:13:37 EAT 2010

Some quick points:

I think it's important to differentiate between content and the delivery
platform: A story on, say, diamond mining is a story on diamond mining. You
can deliver it as a radio piece, a video (via internet or TV) or a written
piece (via print or internet) or as a combination thereof. 'Multimedia'
merely means a combination of the above (i.e. includes the written word),
and that's not really specific to Africa. Look at newspapers or magazines
with a website, print edition, and possibly a TV show.

Also, 'local content in Africa' is way too broad to be useful. 'Local
content' can be anything from an African investment bank writing a banking
sector analysis to someone recording footage on a mobile phone and then
putting it up on YouTube. I consider my content 'local content' and find
that the written word works best for it.

Finally: I wouldn't dismiss copy right protection entirely as stifling. Yes,
the internet makes copyright enforcement a lot more difficult, but I think
it's still a legitimate question to ask whether people who have put a lot of
effort into a piece of work should not be able to enjoy the income from it.

Regards, Andrea

On 11 August 2010 07:52, Badru Ntege <ntegeb at one2net.co.ug> wrote:

>  Hi All
>
> * *
>
> I’m posting this on both I-network (UG) and Kictanet (KE) to continue and
> expand dialogue that has been going on within the Linux User group mailing
> list in UG.
>

> A few weeks ago I shared a website that we have been working on as an
> experiment on local content.  This website presents an archive of broadcast
> content from about 16 local radio stations going back to the beginning of
> 2010.  http://www.yradio.ug/
>

> I firmly believe that Africa’s local content will be mainly multi-media as
> opposed to the written word.   This goes back to our heritage where our
> history has been mainly through story telling passed down from generation to
> generation as opposed to our European cousins,  where the written word goes
> back for many generations.
>

> However the multimedia might fly in the face of what I call historical IPR
> and Copyright legislation.  I do believe that this legislation needs to be
> reviewed in favour of the current times where the traditional methods are
> unenforceable.
>

> On the international scene African nations are being forced to adopt some
> of this legislation which I do believe will stifle innovation and growth.
>

> For Kenya I understand that  Kenya Music Copy Right Association  has been
> in place and collects from those who play music from local artists.  I would
> like us to look at what has happened to that industry in the last few years
> since this was put in force.   In the late 90’s  early 2000’s Kenya local
> music was  dominant in the region.  However the industry has not grown as it
> should have and has been overtaken by other markets like Uganda where strict
> enforcement does not exist and the most frequently played music is local
> ugandan music.
>

> Some have said that what yradio is doing is theft.   I would like to here
> more views on this and also on the notion that our future content for the
> continent will mainly be Multi-media.
>

> Regards
>

> Badru

Andrea Bohnstedt