[kictanet] ICDL - I apologise(RESTRICTED ACCESS)

Harry Hare harry at africanedevelopment.org
Fri Aug 6 07:41:45 EAT 2010

Good people,

Reading Walu¹s email, seems like you are both proposing a solution to the
³wrong² problem. Money is not the issue, the issue is ³resistance to
change². So I think we should solve that problem before creating another
one. If there is resistance it means there is no ³buy-in². If there is no
³buy-in² it means the group that is resisting are not fully aware of the
potential and the benefits that the proposed project has. I would propose a
non-techy approach to communicate the benefits of the project to the old
chaps, you need to address their fears and concerns ­ show the business
value, continuity and the wins - otherwise they will through a spanner in
the works even if you got money to implement...and that¹s from experience.

And congratulations to all Kenyans for ushering Kenya 2.0

Cheers
Harry

On 8/5/10 1:11 PM, "Bobby Yawe" <robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Walu,
>
> It is good to know that there is a push to resolve this issue.
>
> My proposal would be to have the software developed by a private entity which
> would then do a revenue share with KASNEB whose main resistance is based on a
> fear of loosing their traditional income streams which is examination fees.
>
> Lets look at raising angle funds for anyone who can come up with an online
> testing software that can equal or even rival the likes of smartforce,
> ICT-Board does not have the capacity to handle such an undertaking as they are
> more of a procurement agency.
>
> Dr. Ndemo, we seriously need to enforce legislation otherwise all we shall
> keep loosing our edge as an outsourcing destination.  Maybe having the issue
> of ICT proficiency should be spearheaded by the Ministry of Youth who I
> believe are now responsible for the village polytechnics.  As higher education
> has dropped the ball on this one.
>
> Regards
>

> Robert Yawe
> KAY System Technologies Ltd
> Phoenix House, 6th Floor
> P O Box 55806 Nairobi, 00200
> Kenya
>
> Tel: +254722511225, +254202010696

African eDevelopment Resource Centre
eDevelopment House  : :  604 Limuru Road
Old Muthaiga  : : P O Box 49475 00100
Nairobi : : Kenya
T +254 20 3741646/7 : :  C +254 725 650044

Training :  : Research:  :Consultancy:  : Publishing