[kictanet] Access Kenya ONLY from Kenya?

Ms. Muthoni Masinde muthoni at uonbi.ac.ke
Wed Apr 28 10:35:16 EAT 2010

Dear Listers,
Am sorry to interrupt this interesting debate on Sharia law....

>From my experience, there seem to be something fundamentally wrong with
the customer (especially technical) support by Access Kenya. I once
attempted to host a Microsoft-based application (SQL Server, ASP and IIS)
with them; I received pathetic service.  I did not have a major problem
with this though; may be MS was my undoing.

However, I have a big problem with Access Kenya’s security restrictions
that forces one to administer his/her website only from a particular IP
address.  If you travel out of the country (or even out of your office for
that matter) and you need to replace/edit  particular content on your
site; you will be in for big trouble!  You will need to supply Access
Kenya’s technical team with static IP address! I highly appreciate that
this makes my website more secure but in the world where IP addresses are
dynamic, you can as well forget about updating your website.

I recently traveled to Cape Town; while there, I urgently needed to update
a home page of one of the sites I have hosted with Access Kenya.  Your
guess is right; I could not and the client (the owner of the website) felt
like ‘killing’ me.    Writing emails to the technical team yielded no
response and I had to wait to be back in Kenya to update the site; hence
my conclusion that the slogan for Access Kenya is ‘Access Kenya ONLY from
Kenya/office’.

I apologize to Access Kenya for bringing this up to the ‘public’; I have
tried to get help from within the organization’s customer care department
for over a year in vain.  My take is that more frustrated clients (like
me), will opt to host websites out there (in US, UK etc) hence denying our
ISP business.

Thank you,
Muthoni Masinde,
Lecturer,
School of Computing and Informatics, UoN

and is believed to be clean.

 UNIVERSITY OF NAIROBI IS ISO CERTIFIED

The University of Nairobi is committed to providing quality services to all
its clients. The University will monitor and review its quality performance
from time to time through an effective implementation of the Quality
Management System based on ISO 9001:2008 standard.

University of Nairobi Website: http://www.uonbi.ac.ke/