[kictanet] Access Kenya ONLY from Kenya?

Wainaina Mungai wainaina at madeinkenya.org
Wed Apr 28 11:24:58 EAT 2010

Hi Muthoni,

The ''interruption'' was rather welcome ;-) ...

It seems I am not the only one with a support complaint against an ISP.

I know once of the ISP staff personally and they admitted the following:

1. The support staff agree on a 'political response' to faults when
the ISP cannot admit they have a crisis. This happened recently when
the home connections service (via Wimax) was down for several days. I
am flattered that I was on a list of people to be told the truth but
wonder why so many clients need to be given a flat lie as a deliberate
response.

2. Their support staff at (name withheld) keep phones off the hook
when they have many complaints.

3. The lady incharge of field support claimed there was a support
person on the way to assist me but kept me waiting for hours as
''punishment'' for having called support the previous day yet they
came and did not find me. I left after waiting for hours.

4. The field support reports do not reflect the truth about the
client's support experience. The time taken to respond etc is always
under-reported and the fault details are usually distorted.

All the above were verified by a member of staff at that ISP.

5. The second ISP support staff hang-up after they realised the fault
on my firewall was caused by one of them. No, i did not shout at
anyone. He simply vanished because he had not solution and it was
around 5:00pm. I have had to escalate previous cases to their CEO for
a response.

All said, ISP support (with or without a well-worded SLA) in Kenya is
a case study on how not to offer technical support ;-)

Does CCK regulate such standards of service? There should be an
acceptable minimum that doesn't force me to keep moving from ISP to
another.

Wainaina

On 4/28/10, Ms. Muthoni Masinde <muthoni at uonbi.ac.ke> wrote:
> Dear Listers,
> Am sorry to interrupt this interesting debate on Sharia law....
>
> From my experience, there seem to be something fundamentally wrong with
> the customer (especially technical) support by Access Kenya. I once
> attempted to host a Microsoft-based application (SQL Server, ASP and IIS)
> with them; I received pathetic service.  I did not have a major problem
> with this though; may be MS was my undoing.
>
> However, I have a big problem with Access Kenya’s security restrictions
> that forces one to administer his/her website only from a particular IP
> address.  If you travel out of the country (or even out of your office for
> that matter) and you need to replace/edit  particular content on your
> site; you will be in for big trouble!  You will need to supply Access
> Kenya’s technical team with static IP address! I highly appreciate that
> this makes my website more secure but in the world where IP addresses are
> dynamic, you can as well forget about updating your website.
>
> I recently traveled to Cape Town; while there, I urgently needed to update
> a home page of one of the sites I have hosted with Access Kenya.  Your
> guess is right; I could not and the client (the owner of the website) felt
> like ‘killing’ me.    Writing emails to the technical team yielded no
> response and I had to wait to be back in Kenya to update the site; hence
> my conclusion that the slogan for Access Kenya is ‘Access Kenya ONLY from
> Kenya/office’.
>
> I apologize to Access Kenya for bringing this up to the ‘public’; I have
> tried to get help from within the organization’s customer care department
> for over a year in vain.  My take is that more frustrated clients (like
> me), will opt to host websites out there (in US, UK etc) hence denying our
> ISP business.
>
> Thank you,
> Muthoni Masinde,
> Lecturer,
> School of Computing and Informatics, UoN

> MailScanner,
> and is believed to be clean.
>
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>  UNIVERSITY OF NAIROBI IS ISO CERTIFIED
>
> The University of Nairobi is committed to providing quality services to all
> its clients. The University will monitor and review its quality performance
> from time to time through an effective implementation of the Quality
> Management System based on ISO 9001:2008 standard.
>
> University of Nairobi Website: http://www.uonbi.ac.ke/

Sent from my mobile device

Wainaina Mungai
-----
http://www.bungesms.com
http://www.madeinkenya.org
http://www.wainainamungai.com

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life
of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by
being shared. ~ Buddha~