[kictanet] US 'to loosen' grip on internet

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 12:46:42 EAT 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 12:25 PM, Walubengo J <jwalu at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Never ever.
>
> The US is likely to retain its grip on the internet critical resources

Which "grip" is that, the one that ends tomorrow?

What ppl have mostly complained about is the idea that the USG COULD nix an
addition to the root zone file.  IIRC that "rubber stamp" ends tomorrow with
the JPA.

If you are talking about the contract to run the IANA that ICANN has with
the USG, then you are correct,  that is unlikely to change.

Who else would do this at zero cost? AFAIK, ICANN operates the IANA without
being paid to do so.

--
Cheers,

McTim