[kictanet] "Outsource our jobs? Why firms are afraid of BPOs"

Peres Were pwere at cascadegl.com
Wed Oct 28 07:11:45 EAT 2009

The article is enlightening, especially since in the past, local
corporates which run their own call centres have not been willing to
openly discuss their reasons as to why they prefer not to outsource.

It is true that most companies would rather keep their customer care
functions in house, so they can maintain control of this critical
aspect of their business which has a direct impact on building and
retaining their customer base.

Much of India's growth in the contact centre industry has been spurred
by Western corporates 'offshoring' their contact centres to India.
This means that the company simply sets up and runs its own contact
centre in an offshore location. The result is that the organisation
still maintains control of its customer care operations, albeit at a
lower cost due to the reduced operational costs at the offshore
location.

    However, there are still many  organisations that prefer to
outsource their call centres, depending what functions those centres
could be providing e.g order entry, travel reservations, credit card
applications, debt collection, telephone screening interviews for mass
recruitment, etc the list is endless .

We at the Kenya BPO & Contact Centre Society are working closely with
government and stakeholders, towards developing a strong contact
centre industry that can build customer loyalty and deliver an
excellent customer experience that can reinforce brand values,
regardless of whether the contact centre is in house or outsourced.

We are also encouraging organizations to outsource various processes
to the numerous BPO & KPO operators that exist in Kenya. There is a
misconception that BPO=Call Centres. However there are many other
processes which local corporates including the banks are outsourcing
e.g. data storage, billing, payroll processing, IT Support, market
surveys, telesales, market research, and many others.

The title of the newspaper article is therefore misleading.

Peres Were
Vice Chair
Kenya BPO Society

----- End forwarded message -----