[kictanet] use of freephone numbers in Kenya

waudo siganga emailsignet at mailcan.com
Tue Oct 13 17:11:48 EAT 2009

Does anyone know if there is a policy in Kenya on the use of
freephone numbers (0800 etc) in Kenya? Are these services
banned? Freephone numbers allow callers to phone the subscriber
free of charge with the subscriber paying the bill. Recently I
was on an international  conference call where the other
participants had been provided with freephone numbers for their
countries but none for Kenya. When I enquired I was informed that
there is a problem with freephone services in Kenya, "apparently
with local telecom services".

Waudo