[kictanet] Consumer Protection - Safaricom

Rad! conradakunga at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 12:34:36 EAT 2009

Visiting the CCK site leaves few surprises. If you want to complain, the
consumer section (http://www.cck.go.ke/consumer_center/) takes you to a link
to file a complaint (http://www.cck.go.ke/consumer_center/). This particular
and typical implementation of e-government unsurprisingly expects you to

   1. Download the form (a PDF)
   2. Fill it in (it is not even a PDF form. You'll have to fill it in by
   hand/typerwiter)
   3. Post it to CCK at your cost

Presumably, someone at CCK will

   1. Collect all these forms
   2. Open and key them in somewhere (assuming there is a database of sorts
   for this sort of thing)
   3. Take action
   4. Respond to the complainant upon resolution

It is also not clear how to track the status of complaints while being
addressed

In this era of real time cheque clearing, electronic payment and broadband
internet such a token attempt at customer service boggles the mind.

It is in everyone's best interests, including the CCK to completely automate
this procedure. This should be something done completely online Users would
then:

   1. Browse to the complaint section
   2. Enter their information (In my dream world one day all goverment
   databases will be integrated so I can just provide my PIN)
   3. Select from a list of providers (Currently I have to do extra work to
   find out the provider's details)
   4. Select from the type of complaints
   5. Provide commentary and upload supporting documents
   6. Be assigned a case number that they can use as a reference to track
   status online
   7. Be able to browse providers by complaints -- suitably anonymized,
   perhaps just the complaint types and unsettled issues and make informed
   decisions
   8. Providers can even be granted logins to the portal or the data can be
   sent to them via email or RSS for action
   9. Be able to get some metrics (both from CCK as well as end user
   perspectives) as to
      1. How quickly providers close issues
      2. Which providers are complained about the most
      3. What are the most common complaints across providers
      4. Which sector raises the most issues