[kictanet] Day 10/11 of 12- BPO Discussions, Strengths and Weaknesses (Observations from USA and UK); and Trends and Niches

Solomon Mburu solo.mburu at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 12:34:05 EAT 2009

Dear All,

I also concur with the previous comments on the negativity brought about by
Kenya's myopic character, and forgive me for using this harsh tome.

Because I'm a Kikuyu, makes me think the other communities are just as
feeble as I can imagine. This is perhaps the problem that makes our unique
policies from seeing the light of day. And the cause for this...
politicians.

I like the approach we have adapted in this discussion forum - dealing with
issues and forgetting the tribal jibes which have poisoned our minds for the
last 46 years.

I hope, as one of us has aptly put it, the media is listening and not be
enslaved with political and character assassinations.

The media, can shape the face of Kenya or destroy it. I hear it orchestrated
the PEV. Just tune into your favourite TV  and what you see is images of
poverty, illiteracy, political wars and other social ills that you can think
of. Yet, through Citizen Journalism, there are unique stories of Kenyans who
are doing impact and having a legacy within the local community.
I see a future where Kenyans (whether the youth or old generation) will have
an understanding of dealing with issues than tribes.

Technology can bring us together and destroy those who would rather not
change because they believe in outdated thoughts and ideals.

Now to the issues of Weaknessses and Strengths in the BPO sector.
*Strenghts*

   1. The most recognizable strength is there are so many Kenyans who are
   into IT and this would be a forum/ platform for flexing their muscles, while
   driving Kenyans to economic growth
   2. There is a lot of content which needs to be utilized. This means the
   BPO will be central in making good use of the local content
   3. There is political will in terms of capital, motivation, positive
   perception by the political leadership. The State is actively involved in
   the various formulation of the BPO (Dr. Ndemo is a case to note in this
   regard)
   4. Entrepreneurial developement will be achieved with the MTEF (2008 -
   2012) and Vision 2030, because it is the BPO is an underlying factor in
   national development, state security and health fields etc

*Weaknesses*

   1. There is a lack of confidence within the state corporations in
   adapting IT (BPO) because of fear of 'losing' touch with the citizens.
   Corporations such as the security department (CID, Army, NSIS, Immigration)
   would need to get in touch with a person making any application for either
   jobs, Certificate of Good Conduct etc), in order to verify the existence of
   such an individual
   2. Financial institutions have adapted technology, but cautiously. The
   great fear is security. For instance, banks will not comunicate with a
   customer through internet, phone, especially when discussing financial
   status of an account holder. The same is true of hospitals etc.
   3. Although we have internet savvy Kenyans, not all understand the spine
   behind BPO. Further elaboration is needed on the basics behind the BPO

My commemts!

2009/6/15 Walubengo J <jwalu at yahoo.com>

> I agree with Dr. Ndemo et al.  One of our greatest weakness is negative
> energy. And the root cause of this negative energy is tribalism. Our East
> African citizens (TZ,UG etc) know that Kenyans identify themselves first as
> being from their tribe, then 2nd as being from their clan and finally as
> being from their country ( the 'Navumulia' kua mkenya mentality).
>
> As noted by others, the sheer capacity of this negative energy will overide
> any marketing dollars that may be poured out there in "Brand Kenya"
> initiatives...There must be conscious and deliberate effort to sell Brand
> Kenya internally.  We have to find a way to celebrate our diversity rather
> than exagerate our differences...This to me should have been one of the
> pillars in the Vision 2030 because it wont happen overnite.
>
> walu.

Solomon Mburu
P.O. Box 19343 - 00202 Nairobi
Cell: (+254-0) 735 431041

Man is a gregarious animal and enjoys agreement as cows will graze all the
same way to the side of a hill!

AND

It is better to die in dignity than in the ignomity of ambiguous generosity!