[kictanet] Day 10/11 of 12- BPO Discussions, Strengths and Weaknesses (Observations from USA and UK); and Trends and Niches

Eric M.K Osiakwan emko at internetresearch.com.gh
Tue Jun 16 00:59:02 EAT 2009

On 15 Jun 2009, at 15:29, Adam Peake wrote:
> Kenya's obviously in a different situation from Korea, but there
> might be lessons. If the branding is to be a success then it seems a
> national champion needs to lead it. But if the focus of branding is
> to be just the ICT sector, then the champion might be closer to
> home: someone from CCK, ICT Board KICTANet, or the PS. Perhaps
> someone needs to 'work' Kenya's successes more. The East Africa IGF
> I mentioned is one small example, every time it's mentioned in the
> meetings I go to there's a positive buzz. However much we might
> criticize the global IGF process, it's quite an achievement that
> Kenya seems to have created what is seen as probably the IGF's
> biggest single success.

Not really because in a manner of speaking, they both start with a "K"
so if one is branding why not the other.....:-)

As an interested party in the TEAMS cable, i had suggested back in the
day, the need for a site that gives on going information on the
develoment of the cable etc. Maybe we would have it now as part of the
Brand Kenya activities.

Eric here

> Best,
>
> Adam
>

>> If our local media can not choose to become part of the solution to
>> our country's challenges and problems then I wonder what their role
>> is?
>>

>> best
>> alice
>>

>> p.s.Views expressed are personal and do not reflect  the position/s
>> of any of the organisations/institutions I am affiliated with.

>>> I agree with Dr. Ndemo et al.  One of our greatest weakness is
>>> negative energy. And the root cause of this negative energy is
>>> tribalism. Our East African citizens (TZ,UG etc) know that Kenyans
>>> identify themselves first as being from their tribe, then 2nd as
>>> being from their clan and finally as being from their country
>>> ( the 'Navumulia' kua mkenya mentality).
>>> As noted by others, the sheer capacity of this negative energy
>>> will overide any marketing dollars that may be poured out there in
>>> "Brand Kenya" initiatives...There must be conscious and deliberate
>>> effort to sell Brand Kenya internally.  We have to find a way to
>>> celebrate our diversity rather than exagerate our
>>> differences...This to me should have been one of the pillars in
>>> the Vision 2030 because it wont happen overnite.
>>>
>>> walu.
>>>

>>> --- On Mon, 6/15/09, Catherine Adeya <elizaslider at yahoo.com> wrote:

Eric M.K Osiakwan
Director