[kictanet] Day 3 of 10- BPO Discussions, Institutional Frameworks

David Otwoma otwomad at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 09:01:08 EAT 2009

Morning Walu,

Going to Q5.

Special Economic Zones are the in thing in Kenya as they seek to replace the
defunct Export Processing Zones of yester year see
http://www.theeastafrican.co.ke/news/-/2558/593146/-/rgkvwaz/-/index.html and
http://www.nation.co.ke/magazines/smartcompany/-/1226/546522/-/srd70jz/-/index.html

It is true there was/is lots of duplication of efforts in GoK e.g. Science &
Technology Parks (in Ministry of Higher Education, Science & Technology's
Strategic Plan {SP}); ICT Parks (in Mo Information & Communication);
Industrial Parks (in Mo Industrialization); etc.  So talking of coordination
now is a tall order when like the 'bulls in a pen' the likely scenario is
contests and less of grazing harmoniously.

Its painfull watching eloquent SPs end with the perennial requests to
Treasury to boost/add their allocations during the Medium Term Expenditure
Framework presentations/exercise to the Public which usually occur early in
the year (February). What is yet to be done is to convince our policy
(decision) makers that as they launch the SPs of their dockets see for
example http://www.tradeandindustry.go.ke/speech.asp?ID=87    it is
important that consultations with the aim of building synergies happen more
as opposed the current state.

It is worthy noting, despite the above, that GoK is determined to deepen our
reform efforts in order to achieve our Vision 2030 objectives, and we feel
confident that we wil be one of the top reformers again even in Doing
Business 2010 see pdf download from
http://www.treasury.go.ke/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=86&Itemid=54

To be blunt to local BPOs, it would pay to merge many of them since the
majority in Kenya are of less than 200 seat capacity. Even for the hand full
with over 200 seat capacity the stark reality is that whatever charge they
may offer to potential clients, especially Kenyan based, almost always is
above what the potential clients may incur by setting in-house call centre
e.g. KPLC and now the mobile operators may bear this out. In Nigeria the
government literally forced banks to merge using legislation that favoured
large banks, and considering the free spirit of Kenyans it may be
interesting if GoK may even dare suggest the merge and they do so without
riot police being called in aka hawkers and city askaris replays!

Have a great day.

David