[kictanet] Day 3 of 10- BPO Discussions, Institutional Frameworks

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 4 08:14:16 EAT 2009

Dear Listers,

I am encouraged by the flood of ideas that kicked in after Bill and Dr. Ndemo's interventions.  Ofcourse Kenduiywo, Bakuli and Peres your discourse is as insightful as that of MM and Barrack.  Lets keep the ideas flowing on previous themes even as we move onto today's theme - just ensure you pick against the corresponding subject line and post.

I wish to open today's theme on Institutional Frameworks. The Researchers found that in S.Africa, Mauritius, and India, the Private Sector BPO lobby groups, Data Security Groups and Government Agencies were working harmoniously with clear, non-overlapping mandates to support the BPO sector. In Kenya it was found that several bodies were involved in the BPO Sector. These were largely Government agencies such as the Min of Education (Technology Parks), Kenya ICT Board, KenInvest, Export Promotion Council, CCK amongst others. The biggest challenge in Kenya was that there seemed to be no overall, cordinating body overseeing these functions - leading to alot of duplicated and un-cordinated effort from the various Players. And so our next Qtn is:

Qtn 5: What needs to be done to improve/strengthen the institutional framework in order for the BPO and outsourcing sector to play its planned role in the Kenyan economy?

We have today on this since tmrw we shall move into the Government Subsidiy/Incentive Issues for the BPO Sector.

walu.